Saturday, April 21, 2007

13 Jalál/Glory 164 B.E.

Today is a very special day for followers of the Bahá’í Faith throughout the world. It is the first day of Ridvan. This is a day we are called to “Rejoice with exceeding gladness, ………., as ye call to remembrance the Day of supreme felicity,” (Baha'u'llah, Gleanings from the Writings of Baha'u'llah, p. 34)

My heart does rejoice today and overflows with gratitude for a multitude of blessings.

There is much in this broken world to sadden us. In fact, the suffering is so intense that if we indulge self-pity and fear we can easily drown in the pain.

Nevertheless, my entire being is filled with happiness.

In his book “Messages from Water” Masaru Emoto maintains that the combination of “love” and “gratitude” creates breathtaking beauty in water and since we humans comprise mainly water, it must have an amazing impact on us too. Whether you believe in Masaru Emoto’s work or not, explore the value of these two concepts in relation to abuse and adversity.

For me, gratitude has always been a balm for pain. Gratitude has made me forget the negative and focus on all that is good. The following was one of my favourite songs during childhood:
Count your blessings
Name them one by one
Count your blessings
See what God has done
Count your blessings
Name them one by one
Count your many blessings
See what God has done
- Words by Johnson Oatman, 1897

Today, focussing on the bounties God has given me eliminates all the scars that abuse, struggles with health, watching the suffering of others and my own errors have caused.

God willing, my reasons for rejoicing will be shared over time with those of you who read this blog. Today however, let me end with just one aspect. For as long as memory serves me, God was a part of my world. Christ was real and alive to me. There was never doubt within me that God is in control even when everything is falling apart.

Then on 13 June 1992 God allowed me to open my eyes to wonderment beyond words. He let me know about His great gift of love which was Christ returned. My family and Christian friends were dismayed and many still believe my soul is lost.

Christ often spoke of the fact that we can discern truth through fruits. For example: “For a good tree bringeth not forth corrupt fruit; neither doth a corrupt tree bring forth good fruit.” (King James Bible, Luke) Is it possible that so much can be there to rejoice about if my faith is misplaced?

It is not the material things that are being referred to here. Although, you must admit it is quite amazing that my body has survived almost to the age of 50 despite SMA, despite decades of immobility, despite working 14 to 16 hours a day, despite inhumane stress. You must also surely admit that it is flabbergasting that R70 000 is required by me each month and despite all the odds against me, month, by month, by month the money is there.

My claim to the fruits lies in the fact that even when it was the darkest for me and all hope appeared gone, a flicker of light remained and a fire was kindled again and now “the peace of God, which passes all understanding” is my constant companion.

This does not mean my life is free of negative feelings. It does not mean fear has gone forever. It does not mean that there is not a great deal for me to do to be as God created me to be. What it does mean is, despite everything, even my own weakness, my heart sings and dances in the knowledge of God’s love and gratitude floods all that saddens, threatens or scares me. It means that this Ridvan, it is truly possible for me “to rejoice with exceeding gladness.”

If you want to learn more about the Faith that sustains me, please visit http://www.bahai.org

2 comments:

DisabilityQueen said...

Happy Ridván, dear heart!!! :-)

<3

/Ceci

Wheatsheaf said...

Happy Ridvan from me too dear one. On the 25th it will be my Bahá'í 'birthday' and what a difference it has made to the past 27 years. For me it is learning about the law of love.

THE LAW OF LOVE

524. Say: O friend! Sleep with your face turned to the Friend, and rest in bed in the thought of the loved One. From flowers inhale the fragrance of the beloved One, and in every fire see the light of the desired One. I swear by the life of the Friend, that if thou smellest the garment of Joseph and enterest the Egypt of the love of God, thou wilt become the mother of all the chosen ones! Then exert thyself in love with thy soul and enter the abode of the beloved One with thy heart. Abandon grief for the world to its people and give no heed to the limited days of this world; be seated on the immortal, everlasting throne, be clad in a divine raiment, drink the wine of love from the cup of the beloved One, become ablaze with the light of love, and sew the robe of love! This is that matter which shall never change! Know thou, therefore, that in every age and dispensation all Divine Ordinances are changed and transformed according to the requirements of the time, except the law of love, which, like unto a fountain, flows always and is never overtaken by change. This is of the wonderful mysteries which God has mentioned for His servants! Verily, He is the merciful, the compassionate!

(Compilations, Baha'i Scriptures, p. 248)